Don’t you just hate those ads on skype? I do!
I’ve noticed those annoying ads when I updated my Skype to version 7.x
Below are steps on how to remove the ads(Windows ONLY).
Credits to Reddit user N19h7m4r3
For Skype v6.x
- Open Internet Explorer, yes IE! The big blue letter E.
- On the menu select Tools -> Internet Options. (Press Alt + T if you can’t find the menu)
- Select Security tab, then Restricted sites
- Click the Sites button and type https://apps.skype.com in the text box, then click Add
- Restart Skype for the changes to take effect.
For Skype v7.x
- Make sure you have the latest version of Skype, once finished updating,exit Skype.
- Open and edit config.xml, you can it inside this directory; C:\users\[your user name]\App Data\Roaming\Skype\[your Skype username]
- Look for the line that says <AdvertPlaceholder> and delete that entire line.
- Set the config.xml file as read-only by right-clicking the file and choosing Properties and Check the box next to Read-only and click OK.
That’s it! Now enjoy your Skype without those annoying ads.